Skip to main content

NORTHERN IRELAND SUPPORT FOR DECOMMISSIONING

EDM (Early Day Motion) 282: tabled on 16 January 1996

Tabled in the 1995-96 session.

This motion has been signed by 20 Members. It has not yet had any amendments submitted.

As this motion is using historical data, we may not have the record of the original ordering, in which case signatories are listed alphabetically.

Motion text

That this House welcomes the finding of the opinion poll published in the Belfast Telegraph on 16th January 1996 which shows that 60 per cent. of all the people in Northern Ireland think that paramilitary organisations should decommission all weapons before talks and that a further 23 per cent. think that some weapons should be decommissioned before talks; notes that in total 83 per cent. of the people of Northern Ir eland support the insistence on a beginning of a process of decommissioning before talks; welcomes in particular the finding that 40 per cent. of SDLP supporters favour total decommissioning and a further 34 per cent. some decommissioning before talks; further notes that these results are in line with a poll in the Republic of Ireland published on 10th December 1995 in which 45 per cent. of the respondents supported total decommissioning and a further 31 per cent. supported some decommissioning before talks; regrets that the SDLP and the Irish government are so out of line with the thinking of people; and calls upon them to join the insistence that all paramilitary organisations establish their commitment to exclusively peaceful methods and the democratic process so that they can in due course enter fully into political dialogue.

The first 6 Members who have signed to support the motion are the sponsors. The primary sponsor is generally the person who tabled the motion and has responsibility for it. The date shown is when the Member signed the motion.

In addition to the sponsors, the following Members have signed to support the motion.

These members had previously signed the motion, but have now withdrawn their support. The date shown is when the Member withdrew their signature from the motion.