Skip to main content

50 YEARS OF THE WEIGH HOUSE AND THE MAIN ROOM AT FIFE FOLK MUSEUM

EDM (Early Day Motion) 1172: tabled on 18 April 2018

Tabled in the 2017-19 session.

This motion has been signed by 11 Members. It has not yet had any amendments submitted.

Motion text

That this House celebrates 50 years since The Weigh House and the Main Room were opened at Fife Folk Museum in Ceres, North-East Fife; notes Fife Folk Museum celebrates the social, domestic and working lives of the people in Fife having been granted full Registration by the Museums and Galleries Commission in 1992 when Fife Folk Museum Trust was established as an independent body; further notes its premises consist of the former tolbooth of the burgh of barony dating from 1673, weavers' cottages dating from the early 19th century and a modern annexe which was opened in 1984; is impressed by the Museum's list of distinctions including the 1985 Europa Nostra Diploma of Merit, the 1985 Civic Trust Commendation and the 1988 Tennant Caledonian Community Award; notes the museum has continued to improve its facilities since opening The Weigh House and the Main Room including a major restoration of the old buildings between 2003 and 2004 and the addition of a visitor centre in 2014 including the museum shop and the Weigh House Tearoom; congratulates owners Cupar and North Fife Preservation Society, the Fife Folk Museum Board of Trustees and its volunteers on all their work in achieving the museum's success and anniversary celebrations including the presentation of Goldie the Wemyssware cat; and encourages locals and visitors alike to make the most of this community resource and learn more about the lives of the people in Fife.