Skip to main content

Rate of pay for furloughed workers

EDM (Early Day Motion) 352: tabled on 21 April 2020

Tabled in the 2019-21 session.

This motion has been signed by 24 Members. It has not yet had any amendments submitted.

Motion text

That this House recognises that, for those workers covered by the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, it is providing an essential safety net for many workers and their families during this crisis, ensuring businesses can maintain their workforce and enabling them to re-open in the future; notes that the Resolution Foundation estimates that 8 million workers could be furloughed under that scheme; further notes that that whilst Government is funding 80 per cent of the payroll for furloughed staff, employers are not obliged under terms of the scheme to top up the remaining 20 per cent to ensure no loss of pay; remains concerned about the financial impact on workers of receiving only 80 per cent of their usual take home pay, an impact which is particularly difficult for those on low pay; and therefore urges highly profitable corporations like McDonald’s, KFC, and JD Wetherspoons that have made millions from the labour of those same workers to step up and pay the remaining 20 per cent to ensure that their workers are not forced into debt and further poverty as a result of this significant cut in pay.

The first 6 Members who have signed to support the motion are the sponsors. The primary sponsor is generally the person who tabled the motion and has responsibility for it. The date shown is when the Member signed the motion.

In addition to the sponsors, the following Members have signed to support the motion.

There are no withdrawn signatures for this motion.